First steps in Hungary
Recommendations from international students:
- Don’t miss the orientation week, it is very helpful!
- In case you have already missed the orientation week, go to the international office of your institution and ask about any missed information.
- Visit your international coordinator, check that everything is OK with your documents.
- Always be open minded! Use the first couple of weeks to meet new people; connect with professors and classmates, too.
- If available, try to join a Hungarian class to enhance the daily routine in Hungarian.
- The initial medical check-up is necessary. Whenever something is wrong, you can go back and visit the GP who carried out your initial check-up. Become acquainted with the doctor-visiting procedure before any real emergencies occur.
- Always check the expiry date of your residence permit and arrange an appointment to apply for a new residence permit card if needed. Especially when you want to travel to another Schengen country, you have to make sure the validity covers the travel.
- Always bring your insurance card with you when travelling, in case of emergency.
- If you lose your passport you can contact your Embassy in Budapest. The address, telephone numbers and working hours are usually available on their website.
- Buy a bike or check whether community bikes (like BUBI in Budapest) are available in your university town.
- Explore your city, collect as many memories as possible!
- Try local food. You will not regret it!